This is me.

The ramblings. Take them to heart.

Friday, April 16, 2004

I love my internship

I love my internship. It's so funny watching all of these people come in for interviews to be interns. They are so scared, and all of them just want something. It's so cute. I'm sure I was the same way. I told her to give me work, and I'd do it. These others, are just saying whatever they think she wants to hear. Sophia doesn't take shit. That's one thing I have to commend her for. She does her job damn well. She is not supposed to be pretty and personable. She's suppoed to scare you. She manages this festival with an iron fist. I'm glad I'm on her good side.

For example:

Sophia: "So James, do you like to write"
James: I love to write, I've been published, I used to write for my high school newsletter
S: We do have some writing internships open, you know, for writing about the films
J: Well, you know, one of the things I have always wanted to do was to be a film critic, and write about movies.
S: This is not critiquing anything, it's just writing summaries of the films to go in our program book. You don't put your point of view in anything.
J: That sounds great
S: Our writing staff and interns usually start in August and continue through September.
J: So we would watch the films over the sumemr, and write about them later?
S: No. You would be an intern for 2 months. August and September. That's where I see you. in the writing department. I'll contact you when it becomes closer to that time if you are still interested. Thank you. Here's a program book of our last year's festival, so you can take a look and see what happend.

Another example (this is someone she liked)

S: Hello! How are you? Come sit in here. I see from your resume and letter that you are quite experienced.... blah blah How long have you lived in CHicago? (see, she asks personal questions, like she did for me)

more conversation...

you can tell in an interview who is going to get a job. Well at Cinema/Chicago you surely can.