This is me.

The ramblings. Take them to heart.

Sunday, July 17, 2005

Cha cha cha Changes

I want to catch up on what I've been doing for the past few months. I decided that I have to actively make a change in my life if I want it to go somewhere. I can't wait for things to come to me, I must go after them with the same drive and intensity I had when I moved here. It was time for me to stop being lazy-- to wake up and smell the shit I was getting into, and get out before I was a slave to it. Time to stop complaining, and make a change.

I bought the new Harry Potter book, did the whole reserve at midnignt deal. I'm in college, still waiting in line playing games with 8 year olds. Fancy that. I am not going to actually have time to read it, because I am in the process of reading 2 other books, both on Film Production.

I have landed the amazing position as the Line Producer/Unit Production Manager -UPM- (if you want a detailed list of what I do, write a comment, I don't want to bore you of my job) of a short film called CHURCH STORY, written and directed by my friend, the talented writer and director, Stephen Cone. He's got 2 feature legnth plays coming out next season, and this is his first short film. It's a real, feature short. We have investors, a crew from LA, and a great cast of equity SAG actors. Expect a website by the end of the week. I love it. This is why I worked for the Festival.

I don't think I'll be working at the festival this year, for our shooting dates are at the end of August, then I get to deal with the amazing job of post. I'm the one who gets to send out all the entries to festivals, set up screenings, etc. The job of the producer is never done, and I love every minute.

Things with Sticky Candy didn't work out. The man who owns the company is the biggest fraud. He's talented in many ways, but I can't work without some sort of contract, and just a verbal agreement to be paid. 6 months of work, and only $100 cash was not worth it. I want to do things right.

Starbucks is the best company in the world to work for, if one has to be a slave for "The Man". Apple and I weren't getting along, for a detailed list of reasons, again comment. Starbucks rocks. They are willing to promote anyone who is willing to do the work. I'll be an Assistant Manager by the end of Fall, making more than enough money to pay for school without getting a single loan.

This is my last semester at Harold Washington, thereupon I will be off to the wonderful campus of UIC (deo valente). I've been accepted, I just have to finish the credits. It's the greatest commuter school in the country. I can choose to be as actively involed with the college, or just go for my degree, and get my carreer myself. My intent is to declare a double major in Marketing and Creative Writing.

Here's to a new leaf.

Thanks for reading.

PS. I am faced with a dielema. Once production wraps on this project, my name will officially be attached to this company, and henceforth anything I do in the "industry" I will have to go by the same name (basically for archive intents and purposes--IMDB to name one). As we all know, the name Christopher Guest is taken. Yes, I could be Christopher Guest (2 or II) but that doesn't appeal to me. Another option I thought of was Christopher Layne (just using my middle name) and I was stuck on that idea until I hired our Script Supervisor. Guess what his name is- Yes. Christopher Lane. Different spelling, same phonetics. Recently, the name Christopher Layne Guest sticks out in my mind. I've always loved my whole name, but is it too much? Should I go my Layne Guest? I love Christopher too much to drop my name. If you have any suggestions, I would love to hear your opinion. I have less than 2 months to decide.