This is me.

The ramblings. Take them to heart.

Friday, July 15, 2005

Profiled. Again.

I woke up in a jolt, looked over at the clock. 5:04. Fuck. I was going to be late. I've only been late to work once since I got the job in February. Why didn't my alarm go off? No time to think about that. I needed to get to work. Dressed in 2 minutes. First pair of khakis and a black shirt I saw. Keys, wallet, check. Out the door. No cash. Shit. I flagged a cab anyway.

"Chicago and Franklin". He knows I'm in a hurry, I was still tucking in my shirt when I got in the car. It's his job to get me there. Instead he says,

"I'm sorry, but I have to ask, do you have any money?".

"I have my card," I say. It's a law, cabbies are required to take credit cards.

"No no, cash only"

"Fine! I can stop by an ATM when we get there and get you cash. I'm in a hurry ok".

He pulled over. "Get cash here." I complied only because I was late. I can't believe this. He doesn't trust me. He wouldn't have done this to any white collar man in a suit. I live in Lakeview for Christ's sake. Not a bad part of town by ANY means. I got cash, and back into the cab.

"let's go" I mumbled fuming.

"Did you get money?"

What the fuck. No, I just got back in the cab hoping you'd give me a free ride. Son of a bitch. Of course I got it.

"YES"!" I scream. "By the way, I'm not paying for that stop".

"The meter was already going, sorry sir," like he's going to get out of it that easily.

The drive down LSD is smooth, other than the fact I'm scared for my life because he's nodding off while driving

"Excuse me, are you ok"

"I'm fine, long night, not a lot of customers" I don't give a fuck. I just want to get to work as quickly and SAFELY as possible.

"Well, you seem sleepy"

"Sorry, sir" I was keeping a better eye on the road than he. He ran 2 red lights, and didn't stop at a stop sign.

"I'm not paying for this cab ride, if you can't drive without endangering me". He woke up then. Stupid fuck.

We get there, fare is $13.50. I handed him $10, and got out of the car.

He honked at me, and sped off.

I'm not usually an asshole like that, infact, it's very rare that I'd EVER treat someone in that manner, but hell no. Today was not my day to deal with that. I'm a 21 year old grown adult, and should be respected and treated like any other, not a delinquent off the street.

I had good things to say in this post too, but that event stuck in my mind, and I can't remember anything else.

I'm back.