This is me.

The ramblings. Take them to heart.

Thursday, October 17, 2002

Hey! Yeah, I am having a good day today, although I got like NO sleep last night. Guess what I was doing? You will never guess. I was up until about 4:30 in the morning emailing my old teachers! Well I only got around to four, because it took so long to write each of them. I wrote. Ms Sample (my third grade teacher), Ms Abramovitz (my second grade teacher) Mrs Giacomo and Early (my SAGE teachers in 4th and 5th grade) and Mrs Domsch (my SAGE teacher in 6th and 7th grade). It was so exciting just to do that. Let me copy/paste the letter I wrote to Mrs Domsch:
Ms Domsch:

First off, you are probally wondering why I am emailing you. Well, here's why, and this is the real reason. I was chatting with my friend Jennifer online, and she was looking at soccer players form various colleges, (we both have an obsession with soccer, me it's English soccer though, I don't care for American) and wondered if a long-lost friend of ours Austin, who played soccer when we were in high school (yes I graduated), played for his school in Texas, TCU. He wasn't on the roster, but I guy from North Kansas City high school (the school I would have gone to if I hadn't have moved to North Carolina) played on the team. I instantly made the connection to the nkc school disrtict, and went to Google to search for nkc schools. I found a link, which took me to a staff directory, and began to see teachers I had when I attended school there. I immediatley began to write those teachers emails, giving details on my life after completion of their classes. I am ending with you, Mrs Domsch, well for tonight at least, I figured I would get all the teachers I really liked out of they way while it was fresh on my mind. This is my fourth email, and it's almost 3 in the morning. It's making me really excited to contact all of you. Wow. I am still have a beaming smile on my face that has been here since about 12:30. Well, let's get to the fun stuff. Before I get to what's been going on over the last 5 or 6 years, let me see what I remember from your class. Of course I remember going to Michigan for the CmPS competition, I still have plenty of souviners from it: the cheesehead, dolls, pencil sharpners, etc. I remember the Compaq computer you got from writing the many grants that you wrote, Playing the online boxing game where one could beat up celebrities (you may not know we played that) I remember my Future Problem Solving Teams. Science Olympiads, Having the school-wide mock-election and I was Al Gore. Selling doughnuts on Fridays. OH yes, the Abortion Debate! (that was the reason I joined the Debate team in HS, because I never wanted to lose another debate). There is so much I learned from having you as an instructor. My mind was streched, bended, and molded in various directions, and much of my success can, in a way be attrubuted to you. I want to say thank you. Okay, now for the good part. After 7th grade, I moved to the beautiful state of North Carolina (lots of excellent colleges here, but I chose not to go to any of them). Well, North Carolina (I think about #43 in teachers pay, which is not good) is no Missouri. The schools in which I was enrolled had no SAGE but had acclerated programs. I was bored in eghth grade, and the first year in high school. Sophomore year, I joined more clubs, making 5 total, (Conflict Mediation, NHS, Key Club, Debate, Chorus, and Drama), and still kept above a 4.0 GPA. Junior year was when it all came tumblind down. I was in 4 AP and 2 Advanced classes, 14 clubs, and did various things outside of school. I was the chairperson for my youth group, on the Cary Youth Leadership team, volunteer work, and a paying job at GAP, and a local teen talk show. My GPA slipped to about a 3.0ish, and I was just about burnt out. My parents split up (somehow that was easy for me) and I didn't know what to do. I just kept busy. Senior year I eased up on classes, and club activities, and raised my GPA to where it was a 3.8ish when I graduated. I was 92 in a class of about 600, and I was set on college. I am going to the University of Central Florida (I am transfering out after the first year to Emerson in Boston where I will study filmmaking), beacuse I didn't want to go to college in state, and they have one of the best film programs in the country, besides California, and I didn't want to go to Calif. beacuse everyone goes there and I like to be different. I only applied to 2 schools, because I only wanted to apply where I knew I wanted to go. If I got into American University (in Washington DC) I would have studied International Relations, but I got on the wait list. My Junior AP English teacher encouraged me to apply to film school, because he knew film was my dream. I applied, and got in. How exciting. I hope I have not bored you with my little story, but I just thought you would like to know. I want to talk with you, so I hope I get a reply! I have attached a fairly recent picture of myself so you can see how I look, or print it out and show your class :) I am going to bed now, it is about 3:30AM, and I have to get up in the morning to go to work. I am a concierge an an independent movie theater.. I sign people up for memberships, make reservations for patrons at local resturants, get theater tickets, etc., in case you wanted to know (how many times have I used that phrase?)

Well goodnight!

Christopher Guest

P.S. Do you ever hear from any other SAGEers from my class or the class ahead of me? Just wondering..

Isn't that exciting!?!?! I had so much fun! OH AND GUESS WHAT!?!?! I got a reply from Mrs Sample today!!!! Let me show you what she wrote:
Hi Christopher!
You can't imagine how thrilled I was to hear from you! I remember you very well, and I am so happy to know what you have been doing since your days at Davidson.
Movies, huh? Maybe you'll have some character roles for Mrs. Abramovitz and me in one of your films. I'm planning on retiring in the next 5 years or so. Maybe you hold the key to my second career! HA!
I am still teaching 3rd grade at Davidson, and I'm having one of those crazy, busy days today. So, although I don't have time to write much now, I will be in touch soon when I have more time. I just wanted to let you know that I did get your email...you made my day...and I will be in touch very soon.
Thanks for "finding" me!
Lynn Sample
PS: I enjoyed the photo, too! You still have the same great smile! :o)
AWWWWWWWWWWWW SHE REMEMBERED ME! I have been so happy all day. I have this sonstant smile on my face.. FUN TIMES! I bought another David Sedaris book today. He's my new favorite author I love him. He's hilarious, and he still keeps it real. I am hooked. Fun times! Talk later!


Emotional: SO EXCITED!
Physical: NOT TIRED AT ALL!
look forward to: Shopping and the fair
movies: SPIRITED AWAY (that movie kicks some serious assphalt)
BOOK/AUTHOR: DAVID SEDARIS!!!!!!!!!! HE IS THE F-ING MAN!!!! HTFY!!
Music: J. Timberlake HOLLA that song makes me whall out!